Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Update: The official version in Gentoo’s repo has been bumped for a while now including the SSL patch. You shouldn’t need to follow the instructions here.
We rebuilt our server a few weeks ago, and I was just now getting around to putting eggdrop on it again and setting up the sh17radio bot we had before.
I installed eggdrop-1.6.18 through portage, and everything was cool until I tried to connect via SSL.
[02:35] Trying server irc.thesh17.com:7000
[02:35] DNS resolved irc.thesh17.com to x.x.x.x
[02:38] SSL_connect() = -1, error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)
[02:38] SSL Failed connect to irc.thesh17.com (Error while switching to SSL).
Apparently eggdrop has some issues with SSL on 64 bit systems, but Egghelp has a few patches to fix this. eggdrop 1.6.19 has been out since April, but the ebuilds in Gentoo Portage haven’t been updated yet for whatever reason so I took it upon myself to update my own ebuild and share it here.
Note: I did find this gentoo bug for a version bump. This is where the eggdrop-1.6.19-patches-1.0.tar.bz2 file came from with all of the patches.
How to install the eggdrop-1.6.19 ebuild?
If you already have a local portage overlay set up, ignore step 1 & 2. Otherwise, we need to create a portage overlay directory and add it to make.conf.
- [code]mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/net-irc/eggdrop[/code]
- [code]echo ‘PORTDIR_OVERLAY=”/usr/local/portage”‘ >> /etc/make.conf[/code]
- Now we need to actually download/install the updated ebuild
[code lang=”bash”]cd /usr/local/portage/net-irc/eggdrop
tar xvjf eggdrop-1619-tstar.bz2[/code]
- After we extract it, delete the tarball and copy the patches to the distfiles directory
[code]rm -f eggdrop-1619-tstar.bz2 ; cp -v files/eggdrop-1.6.19-patches-1.0.tar.bz2 /usr/portage/distfiles/[/code]
- You’ll probably need to add eggdrop to your package.keywords file now, so change amd64 to whatever keyword you would normally use on your system (Note: I only added it specifically for this version)
[code]echo “=net-irc/eggdrop-1.6.19 ~amd64” >> /etc/portage/package.keywords[/code]
- Now, emerge!
[code]emerge -av eggdrop[/code]
- If you haven’t used eggrop before, then you’d want to log in as the user you’re planning to run it on then run ‘eggdrop-installer’
After installing the new ebuild, everything connects successfully 🙂
[02:55] main: entering loop
[02:55] Trying server irc.thesh17.com:7000
[02:55] DNS resolved irc.thesh17.com to x.x.x.x
[02:55] SSL_connect() success
[02:55] net: connect! sock 8
[02:55] Connected to irc.thesh17.com
Expect more posts later on, and check out my previous eggdrop post if you want to set up a bot that announces shoutcast stations.
Post in the comments if you have any trouble getting it to work and I’ll help you out.